Sunita - a doctors life and love story



Chapter 1 - Two sisters and a friend

It was a warm summer morning, as Sunita walked up the library stairs, it’s not that she loved reading books, it was the special meeting place for her and her longtime friend Sunil. Sunita and Sunil had been school time friends. This friendship had made them famous in their locality.

“The in separable two”, that what their friends called them.

At times, Sunita’s uncle and aunt instructed her to keep distance from Sunil, as she had now grown up, although they were not opposed to having him as their Son in law.

But no amount of scolding or insults could keep them apart, until it was time for graduation.

Sunita took up Medicine and Sunil took commerce. Since they went to different colleges, they rarely met as they used to in school. That’s why they decided to meet each other every Sunday morning in front of the Public library.



She sat waiting, dreamy eyed. She smiled at the sight of the approaching tall and heavy built Sunil.
The sun was bright, as she sat thinking about how to tell Sunil about her “special someone”.

“Hi” said Sunil, in his casual bulky voice. “So, what’s new?” “First you sir “said Sunita. They had a few casual chats and took a few updates on each other’s lives.

“OK”, said Sunil. “Next weekend we guys are going out for a fun trip to Darjeeling.” “Hey, your sister Anita, stays there, right?

"Yes, she’s finished her boarding school, now she is in college. She studied in the best school and now studies in the best college. By the way, she’s taken up commerce too”

“Hmm, I haven’t seen her in many years, she looks much like you right?”

“Yes, but she is much prettier compared to me.”

“I have seen her pictures in your house, I didn’t see much difference.”


“That’s ok, you can see her for yourself and decide who looks better.

“Anyway, I will tell aunty, she might have some items to send her. I will hand it over by Wednesday.”

“I am going out for shopping now, why don’t you come with me.”

“No Sunil, not today, exams are on the head, I need to prepare.”
“Ok, that’s your choice, you are the only girl I have seen who says no to shopping.”

“OK, enough about me. What’s up with you Sunitha? You messaged that you have lots to share with me and now you said first you, come on tell me now.”

Sunitha silently looked into Sunil’s eyes and said

“I don’t know how to tell you Sunil and where to start, maybe some other day.”

“What is it Sunitha, you never hide anything from me. Tell na!”
“No, later maybe,” when Sunil tried to press further, she got up saying

“Oh, look at the time, you came very late today, I have to go home early today, or aunty will get upset. I will tell her about your trip.”


“Ok, I will come by on Thursday to collect (and eat) the yummies made by her for Anitha.”

“Bye” she said running down the stairs to the bus stop across the road.”



*---------------------*



Few weeks later they met again. Sunitha was waiting at the same spot in front of the library.
She saw Sunil, half running, half dancing, singing as he came.
“is choti si skirt me, Bomb lagdi Mainu”
Sunita asked inquisitively, “What happened, was the trip so good?”

“Yes, it was the best. And how are your preparations?”

“Hmm, going on.. Tell me why are you so excited? What happened?”

“Sunitha.. Sunitha.. Sunitha – I am in love”

“What?”

“Yes, with your sister, She is SO HOT!!!, I mean, I am sorry, she is very nice. You were right, she is prettier then you, and so much better maintained, not to mention fashionable!!! Just the kind a guy dreams of.”

“Hmm…”

“No, it was clear by the way she looked at me and how she spoke... Her voice is like a sweet melody, so soft and silky, as if singing just for me. And her mini skirt, took my heart away.”

“Hey, that’s my little sister you’re speaking of, any ways, Congratulations, Sunil, you finally found your dream girl!!

Ok off I go”, said Sunitha

On the way home, in the bus, she looked outside the window, people passing by, scooters, cars, bikes. Lovers and couples were all see could see... she spoke softly to herself “what about me?”

Her stop came, she felt lonely. Her thoughts moving to the one she loved and could not open up to.

She reached home, had freshened up and was changing her cloths when her phone rang. It was Anita.

“Hello, Suni, what’s up? Nothing, as usual, Hmm, I Knew it, your life is so dam boring, but not mine haan, accha, listen, I have a surprise for you, Suni, my dear, I think I am in love… Yes, me, just think of it, finally, finally I found someone who meets my standards!!! ”

“Really? Looks like everyone’s in love now-a days.” Said Sunitha.



“What? Who else is in love? You? Must be some old man then, I know your choice... the behenji types. Hey don’t mind haan. Tell me more about it.”



“OK, don’t fret, first I will tell. Hmm, you can’t even guess… It’s your good friend, yes, it’s the one who came to Darjeeling for a few days. I don’t want to take his name, since you already know. Did you talk to him after he came back? Did he mention me? ”

“”Yes, Ani, he did, and it looks like you were wearing a really skimpy skirt, which is what took his heart away. Well that’s what he told me.”

“Well it wasn’t that skimpy, I am just going with the trend, you know, that’s the latest fashion… so I have to wear it. Anyways, it’s great that it worked.”

“What? Great that what worked? The small skirt? What do you mean? Shall I tell Aunty about it? ”

“Arre, chod yaar, you are a different species all together. It’s beyond your understanding, and don’t you dare tell anything to my mom about my skirt, I am doing nothing wrong, so don’t make me feel Guilty.”

“I have invited him over for lunch, next week when I get there, we will all meet up and you my dear can tell him all I feel.”

“Me?”

“Yes you! You are his best friend as per his account and you are the one he would never say no to.”

“Yes, that’s true”

“So the responsibility of putting my love boat to the shore now rests on your shoulders. And as you can see I am a very shy person. I won’t be able to open my mouth. You see Suni, these are matters of the heart, and you are all brains, so you won’t understand. Please will you help me out?”



“Sure, it’s needless to say, Ani, sure I will talk to him about your matters of heart the next time we meet”

“Ok Darling, got to catch a movie, see you later, bye...”

“Bye Ani, see you, bye”

Sunitha looked pensive, browsing through her mobiles picture gallery, she looked at her special someone’s picture and said, “What about me? I was not able to open my mouth about my love, will it remain unexpressed forever? Did you never realize all this while that we were so close? Now we have to part.. This is not how I imagined it, if only I was bolder, stronger, more like Anita.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Warrior Prince